'Chow' means fried and 'mein' means noodles in the Chinese language. It's a popular Chinese dish but it is also famous throughout the world. Every country makes its own version of Chowmein. In Pakistan, India and Srilanka, spicier Chowmein is preferred. The crunchy vegetables and the spicy flavored noodles will not make you realize how much servings you have had. Be generous in making them :) Finish your meal with some sweet and cold dessert to heal your tongue :) I usually have chocolate icecream later.
I have used spaghetti in this recipe as my family is not so fond of egg noodles. You can make it with noodles.
First, prepare your vegetables. Chop the onion and spring onion. Cut the capsicum and carrots into thin strips. Slice your mushrooms, I like my ones whole.
In a wok, pour oil, add your chicken strips, ginger and garlic. Saute for few minutes on medium heat. Add red chili flakes, black pepper, salt, chicken stock cube, Worcestershire sauce, red chili sauce and ketchup. Saute for few minutes.
Toss in the vegetables and soya sauce. Pour half glass of water and let it cook for 5 minutes. I like my vegetables half cooked and crunchy. You can let it cook for more time.
Mix the noodles with the vegetables and chicken in the wok and fry on medium heat for 2 minutes. Serve hot. Enjoy!
- 250 g boiled noodles/ spagetti
- 300 g chicken breast thin strips
- 1 cup capsicum strips
- 1 cup carrot strips
- 10 mushrooms sliced
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 spring onion chopped
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp red chili sauce
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1In a wok, saute chicken, garlic and ginger in oil on medium heat.
- 2Add red chili flakes, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, salt, chicken stock cube, ketchup and red chili sauce. Saute for 2 mins.
- 3Toss in the vegetables, add soya sauce. Pour half glass of water and let it cook for 5 mins or more till the vegetables are half cooked.
- 4Mix the noodles in the wok. Fry on medium heat for 2 minutes. Serve hot. Enjoy!