Semolina dessert known as the famous sooji ka halwa is eaten usually for breakfast with fresh pooris. I have already posted the recipe of pooris on my blog.
Its an easy recipe and the halwa tastes just like you get in restaurants. Satisfy your breakfast cravings with homemade halwa poori.
- 1/2 cup semolina/ sooji
- 1/2 cup ghee/ clarified butter
- 4 crushed cardamoms
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp or more orange food colouring
- pinch of baking soda
- 1/2 tsp gram flour/ besan
- Chopped almonds for garnishing
- Raisins for garnishing
- 1Boil water, baking soda and sugar together with cardamom till all the sugar has dissolved. Add the food colour and mix. Keep aside this sugar syrup.
- 2In a pot, sauté semolina on low heat for 5 mins. Add ghee/ clarified butter and sauté for 10 mins or till the semolina changes into light brown. Add the gram flour and mix.
- 3Gradually add the sugar syrup and mix with the semolina. Keep stirring for 5 mins. Close the lid and cook for another 10 mins or more till the water has dried and the ghee can be seen seperate from the halwa.
- 4Garnish with raisins and almonds. Serve with hot pooris. Enjoy!