Who doesn't like croquettes? Be it with meat, chicken or vegetables. Their crispy bread crumbed outer surface and inside filling makes you crave for more.
My sister in law taught me the recipe of this particular croquette. Mashed potatoes and beef mince filling with chopped onions and coriander leaves. Its little tricky to mold mashed potatoes into the croquettes shape but with practice you can do it. If you fail you can form round patties. It is delicious in any shape.
In a bowl, take mashed potatoes, add salt, chaat masala and red chilli powder. Mix and keep aside.
In a saucepan, add oil, ginger and garlic. Add minced meat followed by garam masala, salt and red chilli powder. Pour half glass of water and let the meat cook thoroughly on medium heat. When its cooked, let it cool.
Blend onion and fresh coriander in a food processor till they are finely chopped. Just two three pulses, we don't want it to form a paste.
Mix the onion and coriander into the minced beef. Make sure the meat is not hot or else the onions would become soggy.
Now take mashed potatoes in your hand. Oil your palms, this way the potatoes won't stick to your palm. Press to make a small oval shape. Make two oval shapes. Add minced meat on one of them. Top the other one on the meat. Mould to form a croquet as shown in the picture.
You will make about 14 croquettes. Place in the freezer for half an hour. Meanwhile, put breadcrumbs in one bowl and beaten egg in another bowl. Dip each croquet first in the egg and then coat with the breadcrumbs.
Place in the freezer for another half an hour before frying. Fry for 3 minutes turning the croquettes till golden brown.
Serve hot with ketchup/ chutney. Enjoy!
- 4 boiled mashed potatoes
- 1/2 kg minced beef
- 1 large onion
- 1 cup fresh coriander leaves
- For the mashed potatoes:
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- For the mince beef mixture:
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg beaten
- Oil to fry
- 1In a bowl, add mashed potatoes, red chilli powder, chaat masala and salt. Mix and keep aside.
- 2In a saucepan, add oil, ginger, garlic, minced beef, garam masala, salt and red chilli powder. Saute and add half glass of water. Let it cook completely with no water left.
- 3Blend onion and fresh coriander leaves till they are finely chopped. Add them to the cooled mince beef mixture.
- 4Mold mashed potatoes into croquettes adding minced beef mixture in the middle. You will form about 14 croquettes. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- 5Dip the croquettes in the egg mixture and coat with the breadcrumbs. Place in the freezer for 30 mins before frying.
- 6Deep fry on medium heat for 3 minutes turning the croquettes till they are evenly golden brown. Serve hot with ketchup/ chutney. Enjoy!