Gulab jamun is a milk-solid based South Asian dessert popular in India, Pakistan and Bangladesh. They are always a part of our celebrations.
Its a five ingredient basic recipe of gulab jamun. I tried it for the first time and succeeded.
In a bowl, mix together milk powder, I used Nido, all purpose flour, baking powder, egg and oil. You can also use ghee/ clarified butter in the same quantity. A soft and sticky dough will be formed. Leave it aside.
Make the sugar syrup with cardamoms. Grease your palms and form about 12 small smooth balls.
Deep fry them on medium heat turning them so that they are evenly brown. Fry all the balls together.
Once they are golden brown, transfer them to the sugar syrup. Let them simmer in the syrup for 10 mins occasionally turning the balls so that they get soaked up.
- 1 cup milk powder
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp oil/ ghee/ clarified butter
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 3-4 cardamoms
- 1Mix together milk powder, baking powder, flour, egg and oil to form a soft and sticky dough. Knead with your hands. Keep aside.
- 2Boil together water, sugar and cardamom till all the sugar dissolves.
- 3Grease your hands and make smooth and small 12 balls. There should be no cracks.
- 4Deep fry them on low heat turning the balls occasionally till they are evenly golden brown.
- 5Transfer them to the boiling syrup and let them simmer for ten minutes on slow flame. The gulab jamuns will soak up the syrup.
- 6Serve them hot or cold.