I first ate brown lentil biryani at my inlaws place. I had only eaten chicken and mutton biryani but I had never known that biryani can be made with lentils.
The same masala is used for brown lentil biryani as for chicken biryani recipe I had posted previously. The only difference is we don't use yogurt and substitute chicken with the lentils.
Boil the lentils and potatoes seperately till they are 80 percent cooked. Cook lentils and potatoes with spices, brown crushed onions and tomatoes.
Layer rice and lentil masala. Again layer with rice.
Pour oil and saffron color. Cover and cook on very low heat for 15 mins. Enjoy with raita!
- 1/2 cup boiled brown lentils
- 2 large potatoes boiled
- 2 medium size onion finely chopped and fried
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 2 cardamom
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 - 4 prunes (aloo bukhara)
- 1 small lemon sliced
- 2 cloves
- 1 tsp black seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 brown cardamom (badi ilachi)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tap turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 cups boiled basmati rice
- 1/2 tsp yellow food colour dissolved in water
- 1In a pot, add 2 tbsp of oil on medium heat. Add lentils, potatoes, crushed fried golden brown onions, tomatoes, lemon, prunes, garlic and all the spices. Cook till the oil comes on top.
- 2In a big pot, layer half of rice. Spread the lentil potato mixture over it. Again cover with the remaining rice. Add 1/2 cup oil and food colour.
- 3Cover with aluminium foil and cook on very low flame for 15 mins. Enjoy with raita!